The original format of Radio Redux was roughly one show per month format, with most early shows being two hours plus, considerably longer than anything being broadcast on SEGASonic:Radio.
This first season is a very different beast to modern shows. It was not until mid-way through season one that the familiar opening – the tuning of a radio followed by “Y’Know (It Rocks)”, an edited instrumental of “Y’Know”, the main theme of Bubblegum Crisis 2040 – was used.
As well as video game music it featured Advertise! – an advert for a Sonic or video game product, the very first episode of silly radio adventure Chaotix X and a weekly classic rock track segment.
SEASON ONE - TRIVIA
- Episode 1 was officially “broadcast” on February 4th 2006, however it was actually recorded in December 2005.
- After episode 1 a considerably cut down 15 minute ‘episode #0’ version called “Prelude To WTF?!” was recorded and was originally listed as being broadcast Feb 3rd.
- Episode 2 actually had to be re-recorded as a rendering issue resulted in all the audio being messed up. Resulting in a special ‘Episode 1.5’ which went up to fill the time gap.
- The first guest shows and Room 101 shows all appeared in the initial run.
- Episode 1 features a parody of the opening narration to Unreal Tournament to introduce the series. This joke would return on a couple of occasions to mark when there was a big change to the show in some way.
- Chaotix X was actually created as a something of a love note to old BBC radio shows. In reference to this the ending of each episode featured the trope of a narrator asking many questions about the ongoing plot while in background music plays. That music was “Devil’s Gallop” – the theme tune Dick Barton – Special Agent; a BBC radio thriller serial that was broadcast during it’s Light Programme between 1946 and 1951 in 15 minute episodes. The theme has gone on to become an iconic piece of dramatic radio music, long outlasting the memory of the show itself.