I don’t think anyone ever anticipated that the Sonic comics would go the route it has been going this year, but it has. And we still don’t exactly know what it is going on. But some things have happened in the past few weeks, so I figured a round-up of the latest can be shared with you.
- The lack of comics news was brought up at the SXSW panel – The Q&A at this year’s Sonic SXSW panel wasn’t very revealing, except one question. Someone asked the question a lot of us wanted to know. What’s the deal with the comics. Aaron’s answer was basically “we don’t have news to share we’ll let you know when we do”. However, according to Hogfather on the SSMB, that wasn’t all the official word we got. And we’re still getting mixed messages.
- Tracy Yardley says SEGA and Archie are “talking” – We did get one smidgeon of official news, courtesy of Tracy Yardley. It started when a fan let people know of a private conversation he had with Yardley. All we learned was that he didn’t know what’s going on and would look into it. Indeed, he did just that and gave an official response. Archie and SEGA are “talking”, and they will let fans know when they have news.
- Sonic the Hedgehog TP #5 & Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive listed as cancelled, Sonic #293 listed as “to be resolicited” – Unfortunately, that’s where the good news ends. The uncertainty continues as the dates of Sonic comics are still getting tossed all over the place, sometimes with issues being listed as cancelled entirely. We can share news to you that Sonic TP #5, Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive and Sonic the Hedgehog: Champions have been listed as “cancelled”. Sonic #293 has been listed as “to be resolicited”
- Sonic left out of June 2017 solicitations – Don’t believe me? See for yourself. We have not had a Sonic comic release since January (part of the reason why you guys may have noticed a lack of comic news on here), and issues have been getting delayed frequently. Now, they aren’t even showing up at all.
- Online comic reading sites and comic shops are still not selling the comics – Even if you want to get any Sonic comics right now, it doesn’t seem like online comic reading sites and comic shops will help you on that. We have learned that they are still not selling these comics, even months later. Apparently, they seem to be doing it because of “potential internal legal problems” or the “Riverdale TV show taking the team who do Sonic to write the prequel series”.
- Riverdale renewed for Season 2 – If you feel like Archie’s television collaboration with the CW has been causing problems for the Sonic comics, then the news of the show’s renewal for a second season may not help matters. This, combined with the Sonic comics team focusing on a Riverdale comic series, is quite telling.
This post was originally written by the author for TSSZ News.